Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Not Your Run of the Mill Vampire Story

The RadleysThe Radleys by Matt Haig


My rating: 5 of 5 stars

 I loved this book, but how do you classify it? It's not paranormal fiction, but not your run of the mill adventure/fantasy story either. Having read so many of the nice-girl-meets-and-falls-in-love-with-vampire or slightly-unhinged-girl-hunts-vampires type books, I really enjoyed something a bit different.


The first thing that struck me was that it is written in the present tense; unusual, but it works. Along with the very short chapters, this gave it a happening-right-now feel which kept the pace fast and had me eagerly turning pages.

It's a really funny book, with lots of great one-liners. Will and Peter made me laugh out loud, especially their memory of getting the department store Santa Claus for Christmas.


Although Harper got a lot more than he bargained for (or deserved), it was satisfying to see the bullies getting their comeuppance and seeing Clara and Rowan sorting their lives out. There is so much potential for these characters to develop further and I wouldn't be surprised to read more about them in future books by this author.


It's a lovely book with simple themes of love, money, family life and secrets and teenage worries with a brilliant twist.


I've not read anything by Matt Haig before, but will certainly look out for more by this author.


View all my reviews

No comments: