Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Apple Bobbing

Until this Halloween, I had completely forgotten how great Apple Bobbing is. This year little Z has been very excited about Halloween and has been asking to play various games she has heard about from the TV or from her friends at school. Every day she has asked if I can buy some apples for us to play Apple Bobbing, so while picking up a few bits of shopping from Tesco, I also picked up some apples.

After dinner, I filled a bowl with water and put 4 apples in. That was the first big mistake. Big J and water do not mix. I showed little Z how to try to get an apple using your mouth without biting it and explained that it is actually quite difficult. She said she could do it easily (everything is easy when you are 7!)and then she tried. PP and I also tried but did not manage to get an apple. I am sure it was not that difficult when I was a child. We kept trying and got wetter and wetter. Big J laughed as we kept dunking our faces into the water. Every now and then he would put his hands in, take an apple, bite it and put it back. Lovely child. He then found a better game: "Lets see how hard I can throw the apples into the water to make the biggest splash." Then his game progressed to,"lie down with my arms in the water, then throw my arms up into the air". This game would have been more suitable had he been in a bathtub, but we were actually in the living room and although I could not do anything to stop him as I was immobilised with laughing so much (which just encouraged him to do it more!)the floor was actually getting very wet as were all the toys etc which were lying around on the floor. It took a lot of towels & a mop & bucket to clean it up, but I can honestly say I have not laughed so much for a very long time. Thank goodness for Parquet Flooring!

No comments: