Tuesday, June 14, 2011

The Witching Hour (Lives of the Mayfair Witches, #1)The Witching Hour by Anne Rice

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


Having finally finished this book, I am unsure how I feel about it. I loved Anne Rice's creative use of language and her descriptions, particularly those of the house on First Street, really brought the book to life for me. Despite the masses of Paranormal fiction out there, I thought it stood out from the rest as being different. I was not put off by the chapters full of history, although I do think there was too much of it and would have found it easier & quicker to read if the pace was increased. Her characters were fantastic and I found myself really getting to know them, although not being able to keep track of who was related to who and how. I really enjoyed Part 3 and the beginning of part four as the tension was building and there was more action. I was quite disappointed with the way it ended. It was unpredictable, but I didn't really find the ending exciting and personally, although I expect a few unanswered questions to keep you guessing what will happen in the sequel, I like a book to end without such a big cliff hanger meaning you have read the next one to essentially find out how the story ends.

I have given it four stars, because although it took a very long time to get through and the ending was disappointing, I did like the story and the characters. I will read the next in the series, but not straight away.



View all my reviews

No comments: