Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Observations

I am being observed tomorrow. I only found out yesterday and after being asked by my mentor if it was okay, at first I said it was not, as my TA is off sick and it wasn't much time to prepare. I also have my NQT time this thursday morning and so I didn't want to give that up to have an obs. However, I then thought about it and decided it was ideal as I could use my supply as a TA if my TA is still off sick and after being observed I could then leave the supply in charge of my class while I go and talk about the lesson and get feedback from my mentor which saves me worrying about what she thought about it. Then I taught todays maths lesson - their first lesson on division as grouping (sorry to any non-teachers reading. It just means we are teaching it the opposite to how most of us learnt division!) and they didn't get it. Even H, my brightest maths pupil who I can always rely on to come up with the right answer and prompt the others with a child-to-child explanation. So tomorrow's maths which will be observed will be a "see how it goes" lesson and so I am using todays plan with a view to repeating todays teaching and hoping to be able to move them on, even if just a small step. Oh well, at least he will see a proper lesson without all the fancy stuff you put in just because you are being observed.

On a more positive note, we had a meeting this evening after school about able children and using thinking skills in the classroom. I was really pleased that many of the suggestions are things I am already doing, so it will be great to be observed already doing those things.

Thing that made me cross today: One of my definite level 3 pupils (yes, he also has a name but the number is more important at the moment!) is going to A.N.Other school not too far and which I know very well. So, on top of all the things which already annoy me about that school is the fact that I am having to hand them a level 3 on a plate. Anyway, who would move a child to another school at this time of year just because they are going to that junior school? Yes, well, maybe I would do the same, but it's my job as a teacher to whinge about such things.

Well, must go and plan for the supply teacher now. Also have to make my CPD folder look like I have at least opened it in the last 6 weeks!

No comments: