Friday, May 02, 2008

Back to School


Yesterday started well. I wasn't going to be teaching all day as I had NQT time in the morning and year group PPA time in the afternoon. I only had to plan for the supply teacher for the morning as PPA is already planned for us and the TAs just pick up the planning and teach from it, so I don't even have to talk anyone through it. I had a list of things I wanted to do before meeting with my mentor after assembly, so got straight on with them. Then the headteacher came in and dropped a bombshell:

"I have had a call from C (teacher whose maternity leave I am
covering). She is thinking of coming back."


So what? If you are covering maternity leave, you know it's only a temporary contract and the person on leave will return.


Well, I knew there was always a possibility of her coming back, but as she had told me it was unlikely she would come back, had put her house on the market and moved with husband (who has a new job) to London, I thought it was a safe bet that she wouldn't.


She may still decide not to come back, but I have to be prepared to leave in case she does. Part of me is glad they have told me now so that at least I have time to look for another job for September so I can finish off my NQT year, but I can't help feeling sad at the thought of leaving my school. I can imagine working there for a long time.


It did cross my mind that maybe she wasn't going to come back and that it was an excuse not to renew or extend my contract, but I don't think the head is like that. I think if she was unhappy with something, she would say so and actually I think they are really happy with me as I have had nothing but positive feedback especially from the head.


I just hope C changes her mind and decides that it is not the best option to return to school when her hubby is working in London. In the meantime, I am arranging to look around schools and applying for jobs. At least my time at one of the best schools in Southampton is going to stand me in good stead for getting a job elsewhere if I have to.
The head said she will let me know in the next 2 weeks. With SATs as well, the next 2 weeks are going to drag.

2 comments:

Sarah said...

I reeeeeeeeeeally hope she doesn't come back and you get to keep your job. It's not easy to find a school you're really happy at... and you've done it!

But if you fancy a move, we're advertising at the moment. I've loved my (not far off a) year at my school and would thoroughly recommend it :) Having 18 kids is niiiiiice.....

If you ever have a free moment, do give me a call!! We must catch up.

xx

Sarah said...

any news??

oooh, are you still coming up on Monday? call me!!

xx