Saturday, May 24, 2008

What a week!


MONDAY
I started the week by phoning school to tell them I wasn't coming in. Little Z had had toothache since Friday night and contrary to my prediction that once Big J's birthday party was over with, she would not be feeling so left out any more and the toothache would mysteriously go away by itself, she was actually feeling worse on Monday morning. I phoned the dentist. They apologised, but as they were down to one dentist (they usually have two) and he was going home at 3pm they were fully booked for today. They could fit her in tomorrow (Tuesday) at 9.20am. Not only did that mean leaving her in pain for another day, but also meant I'd be taking another day off work and at SATs time that is far from ideal. I asked how I could get her seen today as she was in pain. They told me I could call the Primary Care Trust helpline, but they would not necessarily be able to see me today. I called them and, in short, they called my dentist, who managed to fit Little Z in within the next hour! That's like going to the city centre via Totton (which I have done once when I'd just learnt to drive and got into the wrong lane of traffic!). Did they need telling they could not leave an 8 year old in pain overnight? I called the dentist to confirm times etc. They said to come at 10.30 but I would have to wait (like I was going to decide not to come and admit I had been lying all along!). We went at 10.30 (with a bag of SAT papers to mark while waiting) and were seen by the dentist at 10.40. What a wait! We were out again by 10.50 having had pieces of Z's broken tooth removed and the rest filled / sealed. That was not the big event of the week....
TUESDAY
SATs finished. Yes, I know we shouldn't call them SATs anymore, but whatever you call them doesn't change the fact that we are all relieved when they are over - the teachers more than the children! Still not the big event of the week though....

No comments: