Sunday, July 03, 2011

A Pleasant Read

Playing With Fire (Skulduggery Pleasant, #2)Playing With Fire by Derek Landy



I am currently reading this with a year 5 (10 year old) pupil, who is really enjoying it. It has a good balance of action and mystery to keep a 10 year old boy's interest. The characters, who all have great names like 'Barron Vengeous' are amusing and interesting, allowing for good discussions about them as well as writing based on what we know about them. The writing provides fantastic examples of interesting sentence structures, brilliant imagery as well as interesting and exciting vocabulary. This book was recommended to me by an 11 year old, evidently one with good literary taste. It's all I can do not to read ahead to the end!


View all my reviews

1 comment:

Kezzie said...

Oooh, I must read it! Isn't it wonderful to have an excuse to read kids books! I am currently reading the newest Anthony Horrowitz Alex rider book- great!

Are you staying in year 5? I'm moving to year 4!
I used to read your blog a while ago but lost track and just found it when accidently clicked on my archive! How is it going? Are you still enjoying it?