Saturday, October 01, 2011

Freaks, Geeks and Asperger Syndrome: A User Guide to AdolescenceFreaks, Geeks and Asperger Syndrome: A User Guide to Adolescence by Luke Jackson
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I have given this book 4 stars. I liked it for lots of reasons, and considering it was written by a boy of 13 who obviously has many other things going on in his life, it's fantastic.

I have a daughter of 11 currently being assessed for Asperger Syndrome, and I read this to find out more about Aspergers from the point of view of a child who lives with it. That is exactly what this book gives. It's a clear, no-jargon, honest account of life with Aspergers from the point of view of a 13 year old boy with Dyspraxia and Aspergers, who, through being an observant member of a large family of children with various disorders, and a mum who is nothing short of superhuman, has written a particularly informative book which is both articulate and positive and provides the 'AS kid' with reassurance that they are not alone and advice on how to deal with many of the issues they are likely to face, as well as enlightening parents / carers / teachers of 'AS kids' about what it really is like in that world.

As I read, I found myself, nodding vehemently and laughing in recognition of many things he describes as well as his humour. If I had to complain about this book at all, it would be that it was a little repetitive at times, but that certainly didn't anoy me enough to stop me from reading it. I'm glad I didn't.

This has been a great starting point for me and has given me a wonderful peek into the world of children with Aspergers. It has been thought provoking and has prompted many discussions with others (parents & professionals) as well as encouraging me to ask my own questions and search for answers, helped greatly by the numerous links provided in the back of this book.

As Luke says in his book (many, many times) he is only thirteen and is not the expert on everything Aspergers, and this book is written in an informal style which I would expect of a child of his age (possibly a little older), but although this means it is easier for young teenagers to read and understand, it is by no means exclusively written for them and I recommend it for anyone who, like me, wants an insight into 'Planet Asperger'.

View all my reviews

No comments: