Sunday, October 23, 2011

Look Me in the Eye: My Life with Asperger'sLook Me in the Eye: My Life with Asperger's by John Elder Robison
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Wow! John Elder Robison is a fantastic story teller and what an amazing story he has to tell. I picked up this book because I am interested in reading about Asperger's from the point of view of someone who has lived with it, but I continued reading because it was so compelling.

There was nothing about this book I didn't like. It was funny, sometimes because he was intending to be funny and other times just because he was being so blunt and logical, I could see exactly where he was coming from. It was sad, particularly at times when he describes his awful childhood with parents who had many serious problems of their own. It is hard being a person with Asperger's even today, but back in the 70s when it was not a recognised condition, he was made to feel like he had a personality defect and would never come to any good. The exciting and unbelievable adventures he tells of in his book show that he did not simply accept and play the role he was given by people who didn't know any better. He took opportunities given to him and made new ones for himself.

Through reading this book, I have gained an insight into the world of someone with Asperger's, but have also been inspired to make the most of life (and to make up my own functional names for people!)



View all my reviews

2 comments:

Kezzie said...

It looks a wonderfully powerful book! Must give it a go.
Welcome to half term! Are you up to anything exciting?! I look forward to catching up on sleep though disappointed I have to go in to try and sort out the music room (I have to do this 3 times a month- too much stuff with shoddy storage and other people using the room- grr!)

Andi said...

Good luck sorting out the music room. I'm sure it'll feel good when you've done it, although will probably be frustrating in a few weeks no doubt, when it's back to its usual state :( Hope you get some rest. I've not had much supply this half-term, but have some work booked for next half-term so have to make the most of the rest. Will be making the most of the outdoors with the kids before the bad weather comes in :) xxx