Monday, December 30, 2013

Avoiding Desolation


For one reason or another, yesterday did not get off to a great start. I had been angry the previous afternoon about the way I had been treated by the jumped up, just-out-of-pre-school salesmen (yes, 'men'. There were 2 of them!) in the O2 shop, when collecting my new mobile phone. Having then got even more cross with myself for the way I had reacted and at my failure to control my reaction, I had gone to bed grumpy with the world.

I had expected to wake up yesterday feeling fresh and ready to go for a run, as usual, but instead woke up with what I can only describe as an 'emotional hangover'. No alcohol involved! I busied myself with nothing in particular; a couple of phone calls, Facebook (what to do when there's nothing to do!) ending up here, on my Blog.

So, Larry came up with a plan to take us all to the cinema. It would cheer me up and would give us all a treat before the end of the holidays. Fantastic idea! Little Z (who is now 14 and probably will not approve of being called 'Little' for much longer, seeing as she is now about 5'7" and towers above me!) and I have been keen to see the new Hunger Games Movie, 'Catching Fire' having read and really enjoyed all the books.

"I thought we'd go to see 'The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug'," he said excitedly. "You'll like that. You enjoyed the first one." He prompted, having seen my blank expression as I tried to choose an appropriate response, rather that the one I was thinking. My suggestion that Little Z and I could go to see Catching Fire, while Larry and Big J went to see The Desolation of Smaug, was met with the (quite reasonable) point that that would not be 'quality family time', especially as Catching Fire is showing at a different cinema to The Desolation of Smaug. I really couldn't (reasonably) argue.

We all thoroughly enjoyed the film. Big J and I even managed to sit still (sort of) for the 3 hours (including ads and trailers). Now, Little Z and I must hatch a plan to see Catching Fire before the end of the holidays.

No comments: