Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Happy New Year

It's easy to get melancholy at this time of year. Looking back on the year behind us, we often think of the sad times and hope that next year will bring happier times. Don't we do that every year? So, I decided that I would write a post to celebrate the great things that have happened this year. 

Don't get me wrong, I have had bad times this year. I've experienced things which have made me cry, shout, scream and want to break things or just to run away from it all. Facebook has soaked up most of that (that dreaded FB word again). I've lost special people this year and it'll take time to feel better about that. But, this is a happy post...

1. I was diagnosed with ADHD. Yes, this is a good thing. Imagine having lived for 39 years feeling different and not understanding why; trying to control things which were out of your control. How frustrating would that be? Well, it was very frustrating. Now I have a licence to be who I am. I have a piece of paper that says it's okay to be this way. I am still not allowed to call out in class or jump on the tables, but maybe that's being saved for 2014!




2. I watched with growing pride as my son, Big J, learnt to play the guitar. He completely loses himself in his guitar playing. It takes him to another place. When he's playing, I can't help but sit and watch.





3. For the first time that I can remember, Little Z took her practice for her Grade 4 ballet exam very seriously. She was self motivated and it was amazing to watch. This quiet girl, who can, at times, struggle with challenges Aspergers Syndrome brings, came to life as she danced around the living room. She stood tall, she was graceful and elegant. She looked confident. It wasn't until the results came through saying she'd passed with a Merit, that I realised just how uncertain she had been about whether she had passed at all.


4. Larry has run just over 1000 miles this year. He completed his first marathon as well as many other competitive races. He raised an amazing £614 for Macmillan Cancer Support through taking part in the Great South Run in October. For someone who is always willing to put himself out to help other people, It makes me happy to see him doing something for himself that he enjoys.



5. I sat with tears in my eyes as Big J decided not to go in to his Brown Belt karate grading, because he would be the only one in there. I remember wanting so much for him to prove to himself that he was capable; blaming myself for not instilling in this boy the confidence he needed to go in there and give it his best shot, no matter whether he passed or failed. I then paced up and down, taking deep breaths and not taking my eyes off the door, after he'd finally decided to go in. Then hugging him so tightly when he came through the doors to the whistles, cheers, and claps of the black belts, his Sempai and Sensei. Definitely one to remember.

6. I have lost almost 3 stone this year. That's 41 pounds! People who know me and are reading this may be a little confused. I started running (using the Wii Fit + package and a trampete) in September, just 30 mins every day, and since then have just reached my 2 stone mark. However, I had already lost almost a stone earlier in the year when I had tried Paul McKenna's Hypnotic Gastric Band book & CD (It was great, but I just didn't stick to it. I'd still highly recommend it to anyone.) I have rediscovered my old wardrobe (or at least some of it!)



7. I got a bit of my life back, by taking time for myself. I went out with my friend instead of trailing around after school clubs or going home to tidy the house. I still went to watch my kids do their activities, but not every single time. I haven't neglected the housework, but it sometimes has to wait an extra day. No big deal.




8. Larry and I actually got to go out without the children. We just went shopping, but we went by ourselves. We enjoyed each other's company. We had full conversations without having to break off to ask the children to stop doing something or listen to their interruptions. We didn't realise how much we'd missed it, until we had it back.


We spent time with family and friends, baked pretzels, saw lots of rhinos, went camping in North Wales, played rounders, fooled around, felt lucky to have missed the falling trees during the October storms, went to the beach, played in the snow (not on the same day, or course), spent too much time on Minecraft, went exploring in the woods, climbed waterfalls and more...





 These are just a few of the amazing times I have had this year. Life is good. Sometimes we just have to focus on those good bits.

May 2014 bring all of you many good times too.

2 comments:

Kezzie said...

What an amazing year Andi!!! So much achievement in one family!! Well done to you all!x
I forgot to ask- are you still a teacher? It's hard for me to believe I am a third through my seventh year of teaching!!!

Andi said...

That time has gone so quickly hasn't it? What year are you teaching this year? I took a break from teaching at the end of the 2011/2012 academic year. I was exhausted and needed to take some time to build up my confidence and self-esteem. My family were suffering because I was struggling to get everything done in the time available. I wasn't sure if it was the right thing to do until I had done it. At the moment, I am working in the same school as a 1:1 assistant for a gorgeous little boy with Downs Syndrome. I also do booster groups and some PPA cover. I enjoy it, but miss being the one making the decisions. It was planned as a 3 year break, but if I don't go back to teaching, I will definitely do something more with my teaching skills. xxx