Thursday, September 14, 2006

And she's off......(not sure where yet)

Although I have theoretically been looking for a teaching job for a few weeks now, I feel like I actually did something proactive (ooh haven't used that word since working for the bank) about it today. I visited a school and the headteacher was just lovely. She sat us all down and told us to relax, she wasn't interviewing us. She told us about the school and a bit about how she likes things done. She seems very laid back and I got the impression that she really cared about the children's education, which is not as common as you might think. Two year 6 children showed us around the school. They were so sweet, despite being almost ready for secondary school (no idea why anyone would want to teach secondary). This afternoon I arranged 4 more visits to various schools in addition to the one I am visiting tomorrow. A couple of them are in deprived areas so it will be interesting to see what sort of problems they have with behaviour etc. Having done one of my placements in a school in a deprived area, I would have to make sure that there is proper support in place and a clear behaviour policy before I apply to work there.

Little Z went to a Drama group for the first time this afternoon after school. She loves role play, pretend play, making up stories, dancing, singing etc so I though this would be perfect for her. She hated it! The lady running it was quite abrupt and I think little Z felt a little intimidated by her. She did join in with the activities, but had tears in her eyes when I picked her up. I asked the lady if she could maybe pay weekly for a couple of weeks to try it out to see if she liked it. I was told that if she wanted to come next week she could have another trial which would cost £10 (this first week was our free trial) but after that she would have to decide whether she wants to go again or not. Considering the fees for the whole term are £84 which would pay for her to go every week up until Christmas except for half term, I was not prepared to enrol her and pay her fees without knowing little Z was happy. We are not going next week.

Had another go at bubbles this evening. We decided to use the fan to blow bubbles and see if we cold fill the living room with bubbles. We couldn't, but we had fun trying.

Off now to find out about the school I'm visiting tomorrow.

1 comment:

Cherrypie said...

Is that by the hour? I paid nearly 300 quid ( can't find my pound sign) a month for 3 days a week and that was 16 years ago! In Scunthorpe!

When I look at my bank statements, I think I'm still apying it off,

Good luck with the school visits. Glad you are back blogging. I've got nothing whatsoever worth blogging about so it's great to find a fertile course x