Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Playing catch up

Crikey. I didn't realise how long it was since I last updated my blog. That probably means everyone has got bored and has stopped checking in to see if it has been updated.

So what have I been up to since my last entry? Well, those of you who also read Seany's Blog will already know that all my nagging did in fact pay off and my children, PP and myself were (eventually) honoured with a visit from the infamous uncle Seanie, during which much fun was had, the most memorable of which was our visit to Lepe beach where Big J decided to run into the sea and Seany duly followed. Big J can lead anyone astray, even his uncle who, as he himself admits, really should know better! As if I didn't have enough washing to do, Big J not only decided to cover his clothes in sea water, but added a few blood stains to this (and his dad's T'shirt) as he took a tumble off his trike and used his face as a brake. Luckily it looked worse than it was and although he had a fat lip for a couple of days, he was not seriously hurt.

We had a couple of guitar sessions, in which Seany played and I sat holding my guitar, pretending I could play. I bought the guitar about 6 weeks ago having never played before and with the intention of teaching myself how to play. It is harder than it looks. I still intent to stick at it though, as I think a teacher should be able to play at least a few chords on a guitar and it will be very useful when I haven't a clue what to teach as you can always shut kids up by singing. I would also like to learn to play the piano, which is something else Seany can do and I can't, but then he had a piano to practice on (yes, he was bought a bike and a piano! - spoilt is not the word (no, it really isn't the word!))

Since Seany returned to "The North", Little Z has gone back to school and ballet and although the school term has started and I am a teacher, as I do not yet have a job I have not gone back to work. I am, however, in the process of applying for 3 jobs in schools locally and so I hope to be in work by January. Unfortunately, I do not have the option of being a lady (I use the term loosely) of leisure until then. I have to enter the depths of "Supply teaching!". Maybe it isn't so bad, but if you went to a school like the one I went to and saw the way the supply teachers were disrespected, you would also be a little nervous.

On a more positive note, I have joined weight watchers online and after my first week, I have lost 4lb. Yippee! Feeling great about this, I entered the weight into my online weight tracker, expecting some kind of praise from the weightwatchers site. Instead, they displayed a message thanking me for entering my weight this week and then telling me that the recommended amount of weight loss is 2lb per week and that losing more than that means I am likely not to keep the weight off. Well, I know that you shouldn't starve yourself because this is not an effective method of weight loss, but I have been following their point system and eating the right amount. In these early days of my diet, I really could have done with some encouragement. If I wanted to be told I was doing it wrong I would have phoned my dad. I have about 6 stone (ouch - damn Haribo) to lose and I know it isn't going to happen over night, but as being officially "very obese" is also having detrimental effects to my health, I have been advised to lose weight, but to take it slowly and not to expect to be skinny by Christmas! I will settle for being skinnier by Christmas.

1 comment:

Cherrypie said...

We hadn't forgotten you. I've just been really busy at work and it's not easy keeping up with everyone.

Good luck with the guitar. i had one years ago and could just about manage ' What can we do with a drunken sailor' and a few Beatles numbers but I wouldn't have a clue now.

I started a weight-loss regime too a few weeks ago but immediately developed palpitations. They may be psychosomatic, but then again they may be a collapsed lung. I am taking no chances and will only buy a properly fitting sports bra when I have the results.

Good Luck, Em. Everyone says the hardest part is accepting you have to do something about it. They are not the ones eating Shreddies morning, noon and flipping night. I'm with you, Sis x