Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Not for the squeamish....

What a fantastic day. I visited two schools today, one for a key stage 2 (junior school) job and the other for a KS1 (infant school) job. I liked both the schools and after looking around and talking to the headteachers I will definitely be applying for both jobs. The school I saw this afternoon is not your average school. Here is what Ofsted said about it a couple of years ago:

"According to the 1998 Index of Deprivation, the ward where most of the children live was ranked as the most deprived in the South East Region, and the 49th most deprived in the country."

The children come from all sorts of backgrounds. There are 24 languages spoken in the school and many of the children do not speak any English at all when they start school.

In spite of this, I got a really good feeling about the school and the headteacher was very laid back and friendly, giving myself and the other potential applicant lots of useful tips regarding the application & interview process. Despite telling us this job was "not for the squeamish", she said she would be happy to receive an application from us and promised that if we were successful, we would receive good support for our Newly Qualified Teacher (NQT) programme.

So, with no more schools to visit this week, I thought I'd relax a bit this evening. We were all laughing as Big J stomped up and down the living room wearing my shoes (yes, my nice shoes which I wear for interviews etc..). We all stopped laughing, however, when he stood still, looked down and not only filled his pants, but also did a wee on the floor and into my shoes which he still had on his feet! That's not the worst of it (although I'm glad I was not the victim the second time around). All cleaned up and sitting at the table eating (yes, they pick their moments perfectly!) Big J covers his face with a magazine and makes a very loud "bottom burp" noise, followed by another and yet another. Yes, he had filled his pants again. It was not a pretty sight (or smell) and certainly not one you would welcome at the dinner table. So, PP decided to take him up and put him straight into the shower, pants and all. However, as PP was getting the shower into where it needed to be, he accidentally let go of the pants' elastic and unable to move out of the way quick enough, got a face full of spray from the soggy contents of the pants.

Well, I hope that if you are reading this (if you have managed to get this far)you have already eaten. If not, Bon Appetit!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey,I can post comments again!

Just wanted to say how great it is to be an uncle...

Karate Jim said...

Yeah? Well the smell was not quite as bad as the closed clam shell you gave Little Z which then opened in her bag and lay undiscovered for as long as it took us to work out where the dreadful smell was coming from! Karma will have its revenge (and if it doesn't, I will!)

delcatto said...

I am so glad No.1 son is thirteen and well beyond the smelly nappy stage.
I can certainly remember one evening where whatever he'd eaten had disagreed with him and the bright orange explosive goo filled nappy after nappy. He enjoyed an extended bath that night...taramasalata did not seem so attractive for months afterwards !

Anonymous said...

*note to self: leave decent shoes at home when you next visit Little Sis - sounds like she means business*

Cherrypie said...

Thank goodness I read this after I had finished my minced beef pie and mushy peas.

Cherrypie said...

You have not handed your blog homework in for a number of weeks. Excuses such as 'the pony ate it' or 'my brother used it to light his camp fire in the forest' are simply not acceptable.

Please try harder.

Anonymous said...

More likely that her brother ate it...

Karate Jim said...

I will hand in my homework on time
I will hand in my homework on time
I will ....