Wednesday, January 01, 2014

Kick Start The New Year


Back in September 2013, in one of my crazy and impulsive moments, when I shook hands with a friend and sealed the agreement that I would start going to karate with her in January 2014, it seemed such a long time in the future. I didn't want to start straight away as I needed to lose some weight before I felt confident enough to get up there in front of other people. Since then, I have lost 2 stone and I have gradually begun to feel more positive and self-confident. Now only days away from our first class, I am feeling rather less confident and a lot more nervous. 


Having sat on the sidelines for over 3 years watching James progress, itching to have a go myself, but not quite daring to take the plunge, I am looking forward to it, despite regularly asking myself, "What the hell was I thinking?"

Once we had agreed to start, I made sure I told as many people as I could that I was going to do it. In general, I'm not someone to go back on my word or give up on something before I have given it my best shot, but I also knew that I would rather do something I was feeling nervous about rather than back out and have to make excuses to everyone. 

So, I will be spending much of today altering my Karate Gi so that it will fit me... for now.


3 comments:

Kezzie said...

Well hello there!!! Long time no seee!!! So nice to see you posting again!
The karate sounds a great idea and I am sure you will really enjoy it once you get started. It's that fear of the unknown isn't it?
And well done on the 2 stone- that is a LOT!x

Seany said...

Ahh.., "kick start"... see what you did there ;o)

Andi said...

Thanks Kezzie. Good to hear from you :) Back blogging again as I'm getting tired of Facebook. I see you are still blogging too! Will let you know how the karate goes. You're right; I'm sure I'll be fine once I've done the first lesson. xxx