Friday, April 13, 2007

Can you believe it?


I was just browsing around the internet looking for something good to post on my blog relating to Friday 13th (as I'm sure no one else will be doing that today! Original hey?). The more I read about it the more I realised there was not an interesting post to be had about the subject, so I started to broaden my search into superstition etc. when I came across a site quoting this:

"Seeing an ambulance is very unlucky unless you pinch your nose or hold your breath until you see a black or a brown dog".

WHAT?

I live 3 minutes from Southampton General Hospital and Princess Anne Hospital. I see about 15 ambulances a day. Surely it would be more unlucky (or plain stupid!)to keep holding my breath every time I saw an ambulance, especally as I really do not like dogs (Finally, she admits it in black & white!.) and would have to go looking for one.

I decided this was a one off and that there can't really be people out there who actually believe this. Can there?

Oh yes. Almost all the sites about "superstitions" I visited had this one listed. It appears millions of people (I use the term loosely) believe in this or at least are not brave enough to disregard it just in case something bad happens.

The scariest bit? Most of these people have driving licences!

No comments: