Monday, April 23, 2007

Casual Sex

Little Z and I were sitting watching "Casualty" on Saturday evening after Big J had gone to bed and while PP was at the computer. I am not paranoid about what the children watch on TV, although I do try to be careful and make sure the programs are not inappropriate. I hope most people would agree that generally "Casualty" is not a program I would have to be concerned about letting Little Z watch. Then this happened:

The male ambulance driver (I don't watch it regularly enough to know their names) was trying to give advice to the female ambulance driver about her life. She, in return, gives him a "How dare you give me advice, when you are cheating on your wife" speech. He then takes her out in the amubulance and parks by the roadside. "over there is my house" he tells her. "That BMW outside belongs to my best mate". (Oh dear, I know what's coming now!) "Right now, I'd say he's probably upstairs shagging my wife." (AAAARRRGH!)

The scene continues and Little Z doesn't seem to have noticed. Great! Or maybe not. A few moments later, still looking at the TV, she asks, "What's 'shagging'". Now, having worked in customer services and sales for 8 years I am usually quite good at blagging my way out of anything. But I have to say, this had me stumped. So, I bought myself time with a "Pardon?" pretending that I was so engrossed in the TV to have heard her. Of course, she repeated the question. As I am not ready to have 'THAT' conversation with my seven year old yet, I told her it was "kissing and stuff". Well, what should I have said? I know I have to give this a lot more thought now, as I don't think it is going to be long before I get more questions of a similar nature. We have already had the "Why don't these eggs have chickens in them?" discussion. I daren't hazard a guess as to what is next.

No comments: