Sunday, June 24, 2007

Clear Expectations?

Okay, I know I should put it behind me and move on, but I can't rest until I can work out exactly what went wrong with my lesson at my interview on Friday.

Usually, the schools give you a guide as to what they want you to teach, but this time the school was quite specific. I had to teach a group of mixed ability year 1 children the learning objective "To investigate and learn how to spell verbs with -ed (past tense) and -ing (present tense) endings" for approximately 20 minutes.

My first thought was that this is too much to teach in 20 minutes, so after discussing it with a few teacher friends, I decided to focus on one of the spelling rules of adding -ed & -ing to verbs. As I planned my lesson, I was also aware that if this were my class, I don't think I would be teaching -ed & -ing together, but didn't really want to take more out of the lesson for fear of being told I had not really achieved the objective of the lesson.

In hindsight (stupid hindsight!) I was right. They said the lesson was a bit confusing and they didn't feel I moved the children on. I take responsibility for that, but it would have been helpful if they had made their expectations clear (surely one of the first rules of teaching?!). I assumed they were not expecting me to teach everything in 20 minutes, but I didn't know quite how much or how little they wanted me to do.

I would really appreciate any teachers' comments (Please don't write "See me!") on this. Am I right in thinking I should not have tried to teach -ed & ing together and that that is what confused the children? I tried to plan the lesson in line with the new CLLD guidelines which are apparently the latest thing to be occupying teachers' time. If you are interested, here is my plan. I'd be happy for anyone to give me their (constructive) opinion.

As always, I have learnt from this experience. The interview part went very well, which is, as I have mentioned, something I have struggled with in the recent past, so I am now much more confident in my ability to "articulate the wider aspects of the job" as one interviewer describes it, and I feel I can now talk the talk much better. Are my legs starting to give way though?

1 comment:

Sarah said...

i would DEFINITELY not teach -ing and -eg in the same lesson to year 1s - that was just confuse them! But since that's what they asked you to do, I don't think their feedback was fair.

you're a great teacher!

xx