Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Letter have it!


Little Z came home with her school newsletter today. I usually enjoy reading it as it tells me what events are coming up and what is going on in school. However, after reading the letter today, I was not impressed.

Having recently applied (yes, this again!) to little Z's school (no, I'm not naming the school as I want to be rude about it!) for a year 2 teaching post, I had received no letter or acknowledgement and so had to assume I had not been shortlisted for interview.

I didn't expect special treatment simply because I am a parent at the school (and wouldn't have got any even if I did!), but I don't think it would have hurt to have let me know, seeing as I am at the school every day and have given up quite a lot of my own time in the past to support the school. I felt I had been very professional.I had not told any of the other parents I was applying; I had not discussed what I had seen on my walk around with the head teacher and I had not mentioned to anyone that the vacancy was due to retirement of one of the year 2 teachers (although they could have found this out by looking on the LEA Website).

I had spoken to the office manager and asked if, instead of going to look around the school (which I was already very familiar with), I could make an appointment with the head or deputy to briefly discuss their expectations etc. I was promptly told that this would not be possible as the other candidates would not have the same opportunity and that it would not be fair.

Here comes the best bit: In the newsletter today, the head has announced the appointment of Mrs K who had worked as an LSA there and had left the school last year to do a Teacher Training Course. Well, I'm sure she was appointed in a way which did not give her an unfair advantage over the other candidates.

As far as I'm concerned they can stuff their job. If that's the way they work, I wouldn't want to work there anyway.

No comments: