Saturday, June 30, 2007

Wet Playtime

Saturday mornings are always quite hectic. Although, I don't have to go to work, Little Z has no school and Big J has no nursery, Larry (previously known as PP) does go to work which leaves me to entertain the children by myself, which is easier said than done, especially on a rainy day like today. After realising that having a quiet morning at home always ends in tears (usually mine), shouting and frustration all round, I decided a few months ago to take the children out every Saturday morning. It worked. Saturday mornings are now great, unless we decide we are all a bit tired and don't fancy going out, in which case all is fine until about 11am and then Big J starts to get restless and goes into mischief mode and Little Z, not knowing what else to do, follows!

Our usual Saturday activity is swimming, but if we don't get there early enough, the pool gets too busy and Little Z is still trying to build her confidence in the water, which is difficult with lots of people splashing around her. Today we were not in the mood to rush, but knowing that my sanity was at risk if we stayed in the house, I tried to think of something else we could do. As the weather was so wet and had been for days, it was not easy to think of something to do which wouldn't cost too much.

I chose Serendipity Sam's Play & Party Centre. Big J has not been there to play before. Last time we went was for Little Z's 5th birthday party and Big J was still a cute little (actually, quite big) baby in a pram! Why have I not thought of this before? Before I had finished paying, Z & J were already in the giant cage-like structure (a cage for children - great idea!) which has 3 or 4 levels of slides, soft play things, ball pits etc... I found myself a comfy seat on a sofa and sat. I sat and relaxed and sat and looked around and sat and relaxed more. I was not the only one. Many parents had brought their children, sent them off to play and then settled down to read a book or newspaper and drink tea.

Before anyone rants about knowing where your children are etc. I did keep my eye on them and made sure I caught sight of them every 5 minutes or so, getting up every now and then to find Big J longingly watching other children on the money operated Thomas ride.

After 2 hours of running around, the children were tired out and I was relaxed. I think we will be visiting Serendipity Sam's more often.

3 comments:

Seany said...

After years of standing on the sidelines in Fun Factories and the like, my favourite thing about Serendipity Sams is that Mums and Dads (and best of all, Uncles) are allowed to actually join in!

Kezzie said...

I really really wish they made those things for grownups as well. There is one near me called Al's Adventure House and I only went there once at the tender age of 8, before I was too tall for it. They are soooooooooooooooooo coool!!!!! What's this Seany is saying about grownups being allowed in? Can somebody lend me a child?????!!!!!!!

Karate Jim said...

Adults are allowed in with their children, it is true! Some of these places also hire the place for adult parties which sounds crazy but I bet it is real fun getting the opportunity to act like children for a bit (mmm. Maybe that's what attracted me to teaching infants!)