Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Parents' Evening




I actually summoned up enough motivation to go to work yesterday. After having a week off due to my lost voice (which I had gradually said goodbye to the week before at Twyford Primary) and then another week off after my mushroom poisoning incident (not really needing the full week off but taking it anyway - what's the point of being a supply teacher if you can't take a few days off when you feel like it!) I thought I ought to go back to work or else it may never happen!

I got a nice day's supply in Year 3 at Whiteley Primary. The day went well. We had no numeracy or literacy (which meant no marking), started the day with RE (okay, a little marking, but not much!) then Art, in which the children were making the body of their animal sculptures out of plastic bags and masking tape ready to cover with paper and paste the next lesson and then finally paint (Great idea. I will use that myself), French, which was taught by the French teacher, so I just had to sit and watch, and then Music (Don't let's talk about that!) I took the 3 minutes the class owed me (at least!) from wasting my lesson time during the afternoon and they went home at 3.18pm. A short trip down the motorway, picking Big J up on the way and I was home by 4pm. Fantastic. I was ready to relax for the evening, when PP reminded me I had Little Z's parents' evening to go to at 6.30pm.

So far, every time I have been to parents' evening, I have been told "She is a daydreamer!" or "She is a chatterbox!" so I was expecting something along those lines again. As I sat on the little chair (5 sizes to small for my bum!) at the little table (it's a bit like Dennis Waterman on "Little Britain")Mrs T (no relation to Mr T!) looked at me and beemed. "I am so pleased with how Little Z's reading has come along. She has made such progress and seems to be coming on in leaps and bounds." Wow! She went on to say similar things about her writing. She said Little Z has lots of friends (where previously she would only play with one or two children or maybe choose to walk around with the teacher). I am really pleased.

The last time I spoke to this teacher on parents' evening, I had my notebook and had to raise a few issues which I thought were affecting Little Z's confidence. I really feel like they have taken on board what I have said and that it has paid off. I don't think I can ask for more than that. I think it goes to show what a good school it is and so I am keeping my fingers crossed that the internal promotion of the Reception Year teacher to Deputy Head leads to the position being advertised as "Suitable for an NQT".

I am aware, though, that it is not just the teacher who has made changes. I also appreciate that Little Z has had to work very hard to make such improvements this term, so well done to her. I am very proud of her.

1 comment:

Seany said...

Well done Little Z!