Thursday, March 22, 2007

Doing it for themselves...



So far this week (and I don't think tomorrow will be any different) I have had a lazy yet unusual week.

After a lovely Mothering Sunday, I spent the whole of Monday night and half of Tuesday in agony having apparently been poisoned by a mushroom. I didn't realise that you could get food poisoning from eating normal button mushrooms bought from the supermarket, but that is what seems to have happened and now everyone is telling me their own stories of being poisoned by mushrooms. Well, thanks, but it's a bit late!

Luckily it had not come on until Monday evening, so Little Z (who had an INSET day)and I were able to spend a lovely (but very cold) morning together on Southampton common. Little Z took her bike that she is learning to ride. She has previously lacked confidence on her bike, being afraid to let it go very fast at all, but she really got on with it this time. It was nice to see her bike getting some proper use rather than the constant 'start-stopping' we usually have to stand and watch.



Since mother's day, I have been giving a lot of thought to parenting in general and how a parent's actions can have a long lasting effect on a child. With this in mind, I decided to refresh my memory on some of the aspects of a book I have mentioned before (and will again): "How to Talk so Kids Will Listen and Listen so Kids Will Talk". I first read this book a couple of years ago when it was recommended to me. I got through the first 3 chapters and found so much in it to be getting on with that I never got any further. So with nothing better to do on Tuesday (apart from what food poisoning gives you no choice but do) I re-read the first 3 chapters. There were definitely things there which I was still doing well, which was encouraging and there were a few things which I thought I could improve on with a little effort.

Big J is not too happy about having to do as he is told. I think it is fair to say that although generally well behaved, he does not like being told what to do and if he doesn't want to do something he just won't. Over the past 2 days, he has looked at me with a puzzled expression upon his face, wondering what I think I am doing telling him what to do. Today, we made a breakthrough. After much "discussion" (stropping, spitting, kicking, biting etc. etc. - yes, I know this isn't setting a good example to my children! :D), he saw the consequence of his behaviour. (He was made to wipe the snot off my back door, which he had smeared there on purpose after being asked twice to stop. Lovely boy!)

I decided to read the next chapter, "Encouraging Autonomy". Oh Dear! I have pondered for a few years over the question of why Little Z has little confidence and why at 7 years old she is still so dependent and doesn't seem to want to think for herself. It is actually a great relief to know that I can make a few changes (albeit quite difficult for me) to give her more independence. It may sound as if I am one of those mums who spits on the hanky and wipes her face (Is that a northern thing?)or won't let her out of my sight afraid she might hurt herself. In fact, it is a lot less obvious than that. I apparently have to take a big step back and let her make mistakes, let her experience failure without always giving her the "benefit of my wisdom". In short, I have to shut up more. I think we have a long journey ahead of us.

Speaking of long journeys (possibly a lot longer than necessary!) I had a letter yesterday from Bishops Waltham Infant School. After all the time, effort and petrol money spent on applying for the teaching post, the have written to inform me that my application has been unsuccessfull. Oh well, I'm sure there is a lesson there somewhere (one would hope so, considering it is an infant school!)

Enjoy your Friday. The weekend is almost here and the Easter holidays are now in sight (Sorry non-teachers. Teachers need to hear that!).

2 comments:

delcatto said...

Parenting....Hindsight is a wonderful thing and somehow my Phil has made it past his fourteenth birthday despite my parenting 'skills'.
memories and thoughts of 'what if I...' and 'should I...'
But he's turned out alright and listening, especially learned the hard way on my part, has helped, as well as letting him do things whilst I hover in the background in a state of suspended panic.
Phew is all I can say and keep your fingers crossed...I've arthritis in mine because they've been crossed that long.

Karate Jim said...

Ha ha! It always helps to hear people who have been doing the parenting thing for longer than I have. I started to make real progress in giving my kids space today...then Big J fell down the stairs. Great! Back to square one (almost).