Sunday, March 11, 2007

Taking Bookings Now



Last year I wrote a post about how much I love books and how many I have cluttering up the house. This situation hasn't really changed, although I do seem to have been able to organise them better, having given it more thought.

Today, I have spent some time making adjustments to my blog, adding a few bits to make it more interesting and updating the information. Under the section "Favourite Books" I noticed that all the books I had mentioned were either self-help type books (of which I seem to have collected so many that my friends now come to me rather than go to the library to borrow them!) and children's books (understandable as a mother of 2 and a primary teacher). I decided that I really ought to include a few adult books.......

After thinking hard for a while and then getting up from the PC to peruse the bookshelves for adult (not as in 'adult only' - we definitely don't have any of those!) books, I realised that I do not have very many adult books at all. In fact, I cannot recall the last time I read a book which was not either a children's book or a non-fiction book about teaching or to support a lesson I was going to teach.

HELP!


I am now appealing to anyone reading this to recommend an author to me. I don't really like horror or anything which will stop me from sleeping and am not into heavy sci-fi or Mills and Boon type predictable love stories, but am willing to consider any sensible suggestion before taking a trip (no, of course I am not going to get out of my chair!) to Amazon to purchase a book for psychologically sound grown-ups (of which I am not one, but would like to pretend!)

3 comments:

Seany said...

Like the changes Sis!

I'd definitely recommend Douglas Adams. Sci-Fi? Kind of, but bloody funny

Karate Jim said...

Thanks. I reckon I could pick some of his books up at one of the Oxfam Bookshop in Southampton.

delcatto said...

Bill Bryson - A Short History of Nearly Everything'.
Anything by him as he is funny, informative and makes ya think.

David Miles - 'The Tribes of Britain'.
I loved this book and I read about 50 plus books a year...this one will be read again and again.

John Peel - Autobiography.
Just a lovely man.

Carlos Ruiz Zafon - 'The Shadow of the Wind'.
Not yet finished as OU studies demand my attention.

Charles Dickens - 'The Uncommercial Traveller'.
Short stories and you can dip in and out. The language and the vivid pictures he 'paints' are wonderful.

Terry Pratchett if you like 'fantasy' humour or Phillipa Gregory for historical novels.

Oddly enough I have inadvertently acquired a load of Agatha Christie 'Miss Marple'novels and I enjoy them as the literary equivalent of fast food.

Wilkie Collins' 'The Woman in White' sits on my shelf and one day I will finish it.